Wednesday, November 26, 2008

GUNS N' ROSES: "CHINESE DEMOCRACY"

About 2 days ago the Guns n' Roses album Chinese Democracy, which they had been tinkering with for 18 years, was released. The PRC banned it, for "criticizing" the government.

Though not a fan of GNR, I feel sad for them to have spent so much time on such a random song (I only heard the title track). There are references to the 法倫公 (it does not deserve correct spelling), Hell, (my) iron fist, and everybody running out of time. It might be just because my brain is not mushed up by rock music that I do not understand the lyrics. The song itself is not badly played - but the lyrics - the lyrics precludes my listening to other songs on the album.

Is this what Chinese democracy means to muscicians - that all songs should be deprived of meaning? The PRC might be banning the album under the disguise of sedition, but I think the Chinese government is trying to shield the youngsters from brain-rot (a very noble cause that democracy happens to inhibit).

To some GNR fans' argument that the song is bad because the lead singer does not constitute all of GNR: Was the lead singer not part of GNR? Are you fans alienating him because his brain-rot is showing?

As to actual Chinse democracy, change is coming no matter what, for the better or the worse.

5 comments: